BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why??

After the earthquake in Haiti, I didn't know what I could do. I don't have money to donate, I can't travel overseas to help rebuild and heal, and I didn't feel like I had the time or resources to really make a difference.

I can do very little, but I know "Doctors Without Borders" is making a difference. Not only do they help in emergencies, they provide after-care to those who would otherwise be left with no support. Learn more about their work here. In a recent interview on Colorado Matters on NPR, a Denver doctor said that those in Haiti are receiving needed amputations, but doctors have few resources for providing pain medications, crutches, and follow-up care. You can hear the program here. Though this doctor was not serving with Doctors Without Borders, his story goes to show that we can help Haiti by supporting the doctors working there.

How can those of us who feel helpless do something worthwhile? I am pretty good at a few things, and baking is one of them. So I'm going to bake for Haiti. If you are not good at baking, don't consider this event "Denver Bake for Haiti." You can consider it "Denver Eat For Haiti" or "Denver Buy-Grandkids-Cupcakes For Haiti" or if you are on a diet, consider the event "Denver Stop-by-and-donate For Haiti." See? This event is whatever you want it to be. That's what it is for me. I'm not a missionary, I'm not a philanthropist, but I can bake. What can you do for Haiti?

No comments:

Post a Comment